Physical Address

304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124

Three sensitive messages from Yemen Strike Signal Chat unpacked and explained

Bernd Debusman -Youth

BBC NEWS, White House

Watch: How did a deployment signal group unfold for 36 hours

Discussion of high -ranking US Security Service staff about US air strikes in Yemen was published in the full of Atlantic magazine.

Group chat in the Signal application mistakenly included Atlantic editor -in -chief Jeffrey Goldberg.

After restraint the chat furrows in the previous article he decided on Wednesday Post almost all the exchange After high -ranking officials insisted that there is no united information in the group.

These statements “made us believe that people should see texts to come to their own conclusions,” Goldberg writes.

However, messages need some strengthening. Here are three of them with some analysis.

Schedule of the attack

These reports provide detailed information about the US military personnel plan – described as a “package”, a war term that refers to a set of aircraft, weapons systems, and exploration collection devices that will participate in the operation.

“An idea that it was not classified at the time is impossible,” said Glen Gerstel, a former general lawyer of the National Security Agency (NSA), BBC.

He added that he could then be declassified, but any quick hostilities involving US troops would be assigned at a time when he was common.

A screenshot of the signal chat in which Pete Hegset is announced about the team update and then continues to talk

Reports from HegSeth note at what time it is planned to launch the f-18 fighter aircraft, as well as when the strikes take place and at what terms “attacks” may occur.

In this context, “trigger” refers to a set of parameters that must be recognized before deployment of weapons. It can be a visual benchmark as a mobile phone lighting.

This information is considered very sensitive.

Philip Ingram, a former military intelligence officer in the British army, told the BBC that such information “is strongly in the bracket what was classified by Top Secret”.

“You can practically think about where the plane is going,” he added.

After opening the chat, the White House and other US officials claim that this information is not a “military plan”.

In a message on X, Hegset said: “Atlantic has released the so -called” military plans “, and these” plans “include: without names. No goals. No places. No units. No routes. No sources. No methods.”

A “missile guy” hit in a girlfriend’s house

In this part of the group chat, national security advisor Mike Wals presents a strike update – which in military affiliation is called assessment of combat damage or BDA.

Waltz notes that the target building fell apart, and that the US military had previously had a positive goal identification – Huti’s “missile guy” – going to a building that was considered the residence of his girlfriend.

A screenshot of the signal chat in which Mike Waltz says their them "The first purpose"a "The best missile guy"It was positively identified when he entered his girl's building, and this building has now collapsed. JD Vance is in charge: "Excellent" And then Michael Waltz writes three smileys - a fist strike, a US flag and a fire.

In his message, Waltz congratulates Pete – referring to the HEGSET, as well as the IS, the Transformation for the “intelligence community” and the Kuril, the link to Michael Kurila, the US Army General, which controls the Central Command, the regional command of militants with responsibility in the Middle East and South.

Posts do not show how the location or movement of the target were tracked.

A military expert with whom he resorted to the BBC – but who wanted to rename the unnamed – suggested that the combination of air platforms, technological tracking capabilities or human intelligence on Earth can be used or a combination of different sources.

At least 53 people were killed in the original wave of US airstrikes on the Huti target in Yemen, who hit more than 30 goals, including educational institutions, drone infrastructure, as well as storage and management sites, including the Pentagon stated that there were several unobstructed vehicles.

It is unclear what the goals were in a group chat.

CIA’s activity in Yemen

Another potentially sensitive message comes from Joe Kent, a former soldier on special operations and a failed candidate for Congress, nominated by Trump to become the director of the National Center for Terrorism.

Signal chat screenshot including Joe Kent Post, who performs the duties of the headquarters to the director of the national intelligence in which: "The Israelis is likely to strike, and therefore ask us additional support to replenish everything they use against the goose." John Ratcliffe, CIA director replies: "In terms of CIA, we will now mobilize assets, but the delay will not adversely affect us, and extra time will be used to detect the best starting points to cover Huti Guide"

In his message, Kent cits that Israel is carrying his strikes.

The Israeli military has repeatedly hit Huti in Yemen since the beginning of the war in Gaza, retaliation for missile and drone attacks on Israeli purposes conducted in support of Hamas.

The last attacks took place on December 19 and 26 last year.

According to Kent, the Israeli government will seek to “replenish” any weapons used in further raids, although it believes it is a “minor factor”.

A slightly more sensitive message follows from the CIA director John Ratcliffe, who notes that the United States is “mobilizing assets” to help the strike, but the delay “no negatively affected” to the work of the agency in Yemen.

“Additional time will be used to identify the best starting points to reach Huti’s leadership,” he wrote.

Assets in this context could turn to spies operating on the CIA on Earth in Yemen, or technological means such as drone flights.

Mick Mick Malro, a former deputy assistant of the Minister of Defense and ex-military officer, said Ratcliffe’s message was very sensitive.

“In fact, we do not want to share where the CIA is concentrated,” he added.

On Wednesday, Ratcliffe said at a hearing of the House of Representatives that he did not convey the united information.

(With additional reporting from Nomia IQBal and Ruth Comerford)

Source link